Safety with Natural Gas

Natural gas is a versatile, clean burning fuel that is often used to heat your home, cook meals, heat water to shower dry clothes and start the fire in the fireplace. It is a non-toxic, colorless, tasteless and odorless gas.

Identifying a gas leak:

Use your nose - SaskEnergy adds an odor to natural gas so you will quickly know if there’s a problem. If you smell an odor that is similar to skunk or rotten eggs, there may be a natural gas leak. Use your eyes - You cannot see natural gas, however if you see a vapor, ground frosting, or a significant area of brown vegetation, that could be an indication of a natural gas leak. As well, if you see continuous bubbling of wet or flooded areas, or dust blowing from a hole in the ground during drier conditions, there may be a natural gas leak. Use your ears - If you hear a high-pitched hissing or roaring noise, there may be a natural gas leak.

Taking action:

Gas leaks may occur from faulty appliances, loose connections, or a problem with the service lines inside or outside your home, or from the gas main. If you identify a gas leak, take these precautions immediately:

  • Leave your home or area immediately.
  • DO NOT use any electrical switches, appliances, telephones, motor vehicles, or any other sources of ignition such as lighters or matches.
  • Call SaskEnergy’s 24-hour emergency line from a safe place 1-888-7000-GAS (427). DO NOT assume that the issue has already been reported or that someone else will call.
Practicing safety:

You should regularly inspect your furnace; a properly maintained furnace runs more efficiently and that saves you money. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to perform the inspection. Here is a checklist for inspecting your furnace:

  • Make sure the furnace is free of dust, rust, or any other signs of corrosion. Make sure the space around it is clear of paint, solvents, rags, paper or any other combustible products.
  • Check the air filter regularly, every one to two months. Replace or clean it if necessary. 

Many homes have gas appliances in the kitchen. Never use the range top burners or oven for home heating purposes. Ranges and ovens are designed as cooking appliances only. Used improperly, they present a fire and burn hazard, and a malfunctioning gas range can produce toxic carbon monoxide.

Gas dryers also need a checkup periodically to ensure the dryer vent is free of lint. Lint buildup in the hose can cause a fire. Check the manufacturer’s instructions for information on how to remove the lint from the hose, or call a qualified appliance repair contractor.