Quick Tips for at Home & Work
- Replace your five most frequently used light fixtures or the bulbs in them with Energy Star® fixtures or bulbs
- A programmable thermostat, set and used properly can save your household money.
- Look for the ENERGY STAR® symbol when buying home appliances, electronics, and heating and cooling systems.
- Improve energy efficiency and comfort by finding and sealing air leaks to the outside.
- Use the power management setting on your computer and monitor so they go into power save mode when not in use. Use a power bar as a main turn off when you are using equipment to completely disconnect power supply.
- Unplug electronics such as a cell phones and laptops once they are charged. Adapters plugged into outlets use energy even if they are not charging.
- Replace the light bulb in your desk lamp with an ENERGY STAR® bulb. It will last up to 10 times longer and use about 75% less energy. Turn off the lights when you leave, especially at the end of the day.
- Keep air vents clear of paper, files and office supplies. It takes as much as 25% more energy to pump air into the workspace if the vents are blocked.