Signs Of An Unprofessional Renovator
It is important to know the warning signs for unscrupulous renovators. Keep these signs in mind when searching for a renovator:
- Doesn't have a license and insurance - All professional renovators should be insured and able to show their insurance certificate.
- Doesn't write contracts - Professional renovators have clear contracts that outline the job, process, the cost, and helps clarify how problems will be managed. If you don't have a contract, neither the renovator nor the homeowner is protected when something goes wrong.
- Requires cash or payment in full before starting the job - Shady renovators demand cash and then run with the money, leaving you stranded.
- Vastly underbids all other renovators - They may have the best price, but that doesn't guarantee the best work. Such renovators may reduce the quality of your renovation, which can end up costing you more when the work needs to be redone.
- Cannot provide customer references - Professional renovators should have references that they can provide from current and past clients.
- Poor credit - A bad credit report suggests bad business practices that could harm your renovation.
- Difficulty contacting the renovator - Professionals have a physical office, mailing address, phone, and email. They should respond to your inquiries in a timely manner.