The Lakeview Area traces its roots all the way back to 1904, when McCallum-Hill and Company purchased land outside city limits. When it was announced that an adjacent parcel of land was to be used to construct the Legislative building, the value of the land dramatically increased. The land purchased by McCallum-Hill and Co. was later subdivided that year, and became part of the city of Regina in 1911.
Lakeview was seen as Regina’s “finest residential district” and many prominent residents began building large homes throughout the neighbourhood.
In 1912, a municipal streetcar line was built that ran from Albert Street to 25th Avenue. Building in Lakeview was “relatively slow and scattered” and the neighbourhood was not officially complete until the end of the 1960’s. This slow development has led to a diversity of housing styles.
Although Lakeview is geographically defined as being bordering from Montague St. to the west, Albert St. to the east, Regina Ave. to the north, and 25 Avenue to the south; it also includes the small bedroom neighbourhoods of River Heights and Normandy Heights. Lakeview is well known for the character of its homes, its tree lined streets and close proximity to Wascana Park. Lakeview has many parks and green spaces within the neighbourhood and is home to a par three golf course.
Schools in the Lakeview Neighbourhood include: Argyle School, Lakeview School, Ecole St. Pius, and Sheldon-Williams Collegiate.
Grocery Stores: Yes
Gas Stations: Yes